For many people, especially those new to the internet and computing, Facebook is a terrifying beast, representing a huge leap into the unknown. A little Facebook help is sometimes needed to give you a nudge in the right direction and help you to find friends on Facebook, making the most of the Facebook website. All of your family, friends, and colleagues are there, waiting for you to join the hundreds of millions of people already taking advantage of this vibrant social networking community.
We have shown you how to set up an account and add information to your profile, but how do you find Facebook friends and acquaintances. Face it; nobody wants to have a Facebook profile with no friends, so the next stage of your journey is to start connecting with people. Luckily, the friend finder Facebook gives you plenty of ways to track people down.
Facebook Friend Finder – Use the Facebook Search
There is the tried and tested way of searching for friends and family by name: at the top of your profile page, you will see a Facebook search box. Type the name of a Facebook friend and click the little magnifying glass symbol.
It will then take you to a page with a list of people by that name. At first, this can be very time consuming, especially if you have friends and family with very common names and you have to wade through pages of search results,
However, once you have made friends with a few people, the clever Facebook search function will start to automatically sort the list, placing people that you are likely to know near the top of the list and making it much easier to find friends on Facebook
Find Facebook Friends by Email
One of the easiest ways to make friends on FaceBook is by using your email address book.
- Make sure that you are on your home page by clicking ‘Home’; in the top right
- In the top left of the page, just under your profile picture, is a link to friends. Click it.
- Just underneath, a new link will appear, called ‘Find Friends.’ Click it
- It will take you to your Friends page. Scroll down until you see the ‘Find Friends’ button
- Look for your email provider, whether it is Hotmail, Yahoo, or one of the many other providers
- Insert your email address in the fields
- Simply click the ‘Find Friends’ Facebook button, wait for the prompt, and enter your email address and password. You will be directed to your email provider, who will check that you have given FaceBook permission to enter your account.
- Now, you can go through your list of contacts and check the box next to those you want to add as FaceBook friends, and click the ‘Add as Friends’ button.
- They will receive an email notifying them that you wish to add them as a friend – hopefully, they will reply and you can start connecting.
- If you use Instant Messaging services, the process is exactly the same
The Suggest Friends Links
In the top right corner of your home page, there is a box called ‘People You May Know.’ The FaceBook friend finder tries to match friends based upon who you already know, what school you went to, where you live, and where you work. Click where it says ‘See All’ and it will take you to a page of potential friends. Look for the people you know and send them a friend request.
If you have too many people to look through, the left hand side of the page has a list drawn from your profile information (yet another good reason to fill out as much of your Facebook profile as you can!). You can check the various boxes, filtering out the options and searching your old school or university, or where you work, making life much easier.
With all of these useful functions on FaceBook, you will soon be able to track down your nearest and dearest and let them know that you have joined the social revolution. With a little Facebook help, you can now look forward to sharing photos and videos, playing games, using one of the many thousands of Facebook applications, or networking and trying to find friends on Facebook.